Competitions Department Internship - 2019
Position: P.J. Boatwright, Jr. Internship (Funded in part through a grant from the United States Golf Association)
Competitions Department (9-month position): Available between April of 2019 through December of 2019. Dates of intership beginning/ ending negotiable Application packet due February 22, 2019.
Purpose: To offer a comprehensive introduction and extensive training experience for a qualified intern preparing for a career in golf administration.
Overview: The P.J. Boatwright, Jr. Intern will work primarily with OGA’s Competitions Department, with additional departmental exposure to the Oregon Golf Association including Oregon Junior Golf events, Handicapping and Course Rating, Communications and Marketing, and Member/Club Relations and Development.
Primary Areas of Responsibility (include but not limited to):
- OGA Competitions Department: Assisting with operations of all Championship events and USGA Qualifiers operated by the OGA. Duties include course marking, event set-up, drafting local rules, entry flow, player eligibility and membership, event recaps and pre-administration. This position will have significant interaction with players and volunteers on the course, via e-mail and phone. This position will also include working with the OGA Tour by providing administrative support.
Secondary Areas of Responsibility:
- Handicapping and Course Rating: Expected to accompany the Manager of Course Rating on a course rating trip. Intern will receive exposure to GHIN, membership and the administration of the USGA Handicap System.
- Oregon Junior Golf: Assist with operations of Oregon Junior Golf events and USGA Qualifiers operated by Oregon Junior Golf. Duties include course marking, event set-up, drafting local rules, entry flow, player eligibility and membership, event recaps and pre-administration of sanctioned events with regional courses and clubs.
- Communications and Marketing: Will assist with media coverage (photography, writing) for tournaments and will be expected to update the association website and social media sites. The intern will help maintain data in the association CRM. If experienced, graphic design duties may be assigned. Experience and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- General Association Support: Provide support to all staff including, but not limited to, answering phones, processing mailers, operating various office equipment.
Qualifications: A college degree (completed or in progress) preferred but not required. Applicants must have a high interest in golf administration, be self-motivated, personable, willing to work flexible hours, and possess strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills. Proficiency in MS Office is essential. Golf background is helpful, but not required. USGA employees, USGA committee members, OGA employees or board members, as well as relatives of all the aforementioned individuals are not eligible for the internship program.
Benefits: Monthly salary that is to be determined w/overtime, paid bi-monthly; paid holidays during internship; complimentary golf at the OGA Golf Course; food & merchandise discounts at the OGA Golf Course; business expenses on work related travel will be covered; opportunity to learn and be introduced to golf administration at one of the largest geographic golf associations in the country.
Housing & Transportation: The selected individual must arrange his/her own housing in the area and provide his/her own transportation. When traveling on OGA related business the use of an OGA vehicle or travel reimbursement will be provided.
Work Attire: The Intern will be expected to wear neat, business casual attire for all office responsibilities. OGA logoed clothing will be provided as needed.
Send résumé and cover letter to Brent Whittaker via email at email@example.com(link sends e-mail) or by mail at the address below:
Oregon Golf Association
Attn: Brent Whittaker
2840 Hazelnut Drive
Woodburn, OR 97071